Monday, June 25, 2007

Bong hits 4 Jesus

This is just an odd story and one that I wish would never happened. You might remember the "rebel" high school students who played this prank in 2002. From the Reuters article:
"In the school case, student Joseph Frederick said the banner's language was meant to be nonsensical and funny, a prank to get on television as the Winter Olympic torch relay passed by the school in January 2002 in Juneau, Alaska."

I think the kid that did this to get attention obviously, but wow, can't get much more tasteless than that. The kid obviously has no class. That's just my opinion, but I'm sure you and those like you feel the same way.

With all of that said...while I agree with the Supreme Court in this one, I am torn because I feel very deeply in personal freedoms. This belief however is tempered by the fact that there is a need for order in society. While I don't believe that this prank was a threat to the order of society I do believe that it was an inappropriate way for a child to behave in public. So I could go on forever because after I read this article my head was exploding with all of the possible implications of the decision to block the case.

Here are some:
  • the Supreme Court has way too much power
  • I cannot stand that people whine about the court being a political entity (even if it is)
  • there are drug implications involved here and I think drugs are a serious problem for today's kids
  • public schools are supposed to be run consistently across the nation and that is not the case
  • this is all about a 10 day suspension...GET OVER IT

Okay, off the soapbox, there is so much more to say, but it would be overkill.

No comments: