Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SCOTUS and Campaign finance reform

So the SCOTUS just removed some of the restrictions of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill. It was a 5-4 decision with Roberts writing the majority opinion (brings me back to my days in Comm Law class).

I'm all for free speech, if we didn't have it, I wouldn't have a job (no I'm not talking about writing this blog, but yes, I wouldn't have this either). But the other side of this coin is the fact that there is a major problem in politics today. I'm not saying that this problem hasn't been part of politics from the very beginning of democracy, but it seems to be getting worse as the politicians no longer seem to care to cover it up. The problem you ask? Money.

Money makes our politicians beholden to special interests who are now in control of Washington and maybe in control of your state and local government as well (take a look at Anthony Nownes' books). I have a serious problem with career politicians. I understand that career politicians know what they are doing and therefore can run things better, but it is becoming a joke. Guys like Ted Kennedy, John McCain, etc. they've been in "public service" so long, they don't know what it's like to be part of the public anymore.

Ultimately, (and you and those like you might disagree with me about this), I am for severe campaign reform. Not just finances, but also the length of election seasons and the way that we vote. I'm also for term limits. I cannot stand how politicians are abusing their power. These are some real solutions for fixing these problems.

No comments: