Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Toledo in the news

Toledo, Ohio has a special place in my heart and this story involves people I know. Manor Care, one of the nations largest owner of nursing home care facilities has announced it will be bought by private equity giant The Carlyle Group. We'll see what happens to the Toledo based company after the sale is final. Toledo businesses have a strong penchant for leaving Toledo as soon as they can.

I won't get on my soapbox, but Toledo's leadership is old, tired, unimaginative, weak, corrupt, uneducated, overpaid and mean-spirited. The only way for the city to succeed is to break the shackles of their retread government officials.

It is a great city trapped in a fog of delusion. You and those like you should visit sometime...we do still have a world-class art museum (the Toledo Museum of Art) and world-class zoo (the Toledo Zoo) along with some other great attractions. It is a Midwestern city that was at one time on the up and up and while its neighbors (to the north, Detroit, to the west, Chicago and Indianapolis, to the east, Cleveland, and to the south, Columbus and Cincinnati) grew, Toledo was locked in mediocrity. It can change, but only with a sweeping political change. Good luck Toledo, I wish the best for you.

Okay, I did get on my soapbox...sorry.

No comments: